About one year ago, I purchased my first resin model kit. It was the Kasuga in 1:350 scale model produced by BOX 261. This ship is very fascinating to me, as it represented the first major international success of the Italian shipyards. In fact Kasuga and Nishin were two of the 10 units of the Giuseppe Garibaldi class, an armoured cruiser designed and built in the newly born Kingdom of Italy. Before I started the construction, I had to decide whether I would build the Kasuga, so to say, out of the box, or rather try to slightly modify it. On the basis of documentation and drawings I had found, I thought of modifying the model to make the Italian sister Giuseppe Garibaldi. I finally decided in favour of the Kasuga, on the basis of three different reasons. First of all, the Italian version was less appealing due its more simple design. Secondly, I am especially interested in the Russian-Japanese war. Last but not least, since this was my first resin construction, it seemed reasonable not to make things more difficult than necessary.
Due to my lack of experience, I am not able to compare the quality of the BOX261 model versus other resin kits. I can only confirm that the construction of the model proved to be more difficult and demanding if compared to any plastic model. There are problems encountered during the construction that require some thinking to find the best solution. Yes, you have got parts, like in the plastic kits, but very often details and operation are left to your ingenuity and experience. I had sometimes to take measures from the drawings, make calculations to verify heights and position of essential parts.
The main problems I found have been the form and position of the command bridge and the correct positioning of ladders. The command bridge could not pass a superficial examination. There must be a mistake in the mold as the bridge constructed in an asymmetrical shape. However, both the drawings delivered by BOX261 and my private drawings of the Italian unit, show a symmetrical shape. Therefore I had to scratch-build this element from 1mm plasticard. Furthermore I could not find any correct layout with the positions of the ladders to the various bridges. Those shown on the drawings delivered with the instructions, are taken probably from the Italian cruiser, which had less decks, so that they cannot be correct. Therefore it became necessary to improvise a little and apply some logic. Besides these 2 difficulties, I enjoyed the building of the model very much and it will surely not be my last resin kit. I immediately ordered a new one from Combrig. The Kasuga was built with full hull and the coupling of the upper and lower part was indeed quite simple and did not require much sanding or filing.