I love pre-dreadnoughts and, to my good fortune, there is a flood of kits of ships on the market today. Perhaps the anniversary of the Tsushima battle is the cause of both Japanese and Russian companies offering accurate models of the ships which took part in what we consider one of the main sea battles of the modern era. I believe that I bought one of the first offers of the Borodino kit seen on eBay and it took about 3 months to complete the model. I do not entirely agree with the review of this kit made on Steelnavy. The fit of the bridge to the hull, in my opinion, does not require extensive modification of the bridge itself, rather some forcing by opening the upper part of the hull. Nevertheless this is a difficult model to build. The instructions are poor, the drawings unclear and the building sequence presented in the instructions should be modified. However, it's a fascinating and highly detailed model, worthy of finding a place in any serious collection.

Boro46ga.jpg (20768 bytes) Boro52ga.jpg (21575 bytes) Boro48ga.jpg (19492 bytes)
Boro49ga.jpg (20905 bytes) Boro53ga.jpg (24595 bytes) Boro55ga.jpg (21353 bytes) Boro47ga.jpg (16355 bytes)

Comparing the model with pictures from the net, doubts arise with regards to some details, like the shape and height of the funnels, so that I am not sure whether the model faithfully represents the Borodino itself or it may look closer to another one of the 3 sisters of her class, Suvorov, Alexander III or, most probably, Orel . Another difficulty for the serious modeler is the absence of any rigging scheme. I based the rigging on old pictures, partially taking into account the suggestions given by the instruction drawings. I mainly tried to apply my general knowledge about rigging of sailing vessels, as well as some logical engineering considerations, like avoiding conflicts between rigging and the free movement of gunnery and/or cranes. One peculiarity of this model is that the booms for anti-torpedo nets are separate parts, so that the temptation of producing a model with extended and lowered torpedo nets was irresistible. I found some documentation about how the rigging of anti-torpedo nets would look and proceeded to place all booms in extended position. For the net I used a very common fabric, called "tulle" which, in Italy , is commonly used to wrap wedding confections. The mesh size is a little oversized, but the correct sizing of about 6 inches would be invisible in 1:350 scale.

Guido Amadini
Florence Italy

_____________________________________________________________________________________________