is my first build in 25 years! As a kid I built a lot of plastic kits. Mostly
planes in 1:72 scale, but also all of Airfix
ships in 1:600 scale. For some years now I had a dream of building all of
the Imperial Japanese Navy's Battleships from the Water Line Series in 1:700
scale at first. Then I would go on to the aircraft carriers, cruisers and
destroyers. The learning curve has been quite steep. There has been a lot of
improvement over the years on how to build model ships since I was in that
alley. Back in the 1970´s there was some glue in a tube and Humbrol
enamel paint. It was a matter of hours and the model was "finished"
with some differences in quality! Now in 2005 Hyuga
was built with some extra things of improvement: Photo-etch sheet from Eduard:
Figures 1/700, Japanese ship railing, Kirishima 1/700 Detail set,
and IJN Miscellaneous set.
kit comes in the new mould version (#118), but still has some things that can be
done to improve the finished model. I made new tripod bars of styrene for the
pagoda mast. Also all of the braces under the platforms were made in that way. I
used a Dremmel to cut out all the
plastic windows in the Tower/command Bridge and replaced them with photo-etched
"horizontal ladders". The lattice structure under the platforms of the
funnel was also scratch-built, as well as the top of the funnel. The starfish
structure on the back mast was homebuilt too. Household metal sheet was used for
the canvas covers for the lifeboats and some of the flags. The rigging was made
of nylon invisible tread. The degaussing cable around the ship was made of a
thin copper wire from inside an electrical wire, as well as the oars in the
lifeboats. I used Rewel Contacta professional liquid glue for plastic and Super glue (Cyanoacrylat)
for the small parts and photo-etch. The paint I used for the kit was water based
acrylic paint from Model Color
diorama was made with painted cardboard to illustrate water. I then put on
silicone from a local building store with a spoon. The "blue water"
and sky was made from large colour cardboard to make for a more realistic
background. The pictures were taken on my desk with two 20-watt halogen lights.
The camera was a 3.2 Mpixel
Lars Juel Mosbaek