I bought my 1:72 scale Matchbox Flower some 17 or so years ago. I felt an urge to build it since my teens, when I first saw it and became obsessed with the artwork that was on the box top. It was so much more atmospheric than the ugly painting that was used for the re-release by Revell some 12 years after I bought it. In my teens it was a bit too expensive, but when I came across it maybe 15 years later it was on sale in a warehouse for only $ 15, apparently nobody wanted it.

K56ptall[1]a.JPG (81492 bytes) K56afterend[1]a.JPG (188087 bytes) K56deckhouse[1]a.JPG (156373 bytes) K56amidships[1]a.JPG (172336 bytes)

But I did and when I got home and opened the box, it felt like I was entering Wonderland: hundreds of parts lying there, screaming at me: "paint me and glue me!". I took a better look: "Hey, not that crisp; Hey, and this one looks a bit inaccurate too". The Heys went on for quite some time until I closed the box and ran out to get some decent documentation on this ship.

K562pdrpompom[1]a.JPG (74983 bytes) K56bridgesml[1]40v.JPG (106012 bytes) K56masthead[1]a.JPG (82161 bytes)

The only thing I could get my hands on at that time was an issue of "Man O’War 7: Flower Class Corvettes" by Antony Preston and Alan Raven on the Flower Class. It proved invaluable and together with some general stuff that I found in my small library and a later acquired issue of "Canada’s Flowers" by Thomas G. Lynch (Nimbus) I used it as reference-material. Studying my sources over and over again, I scrapped more and more parts supplied in the kit and in the end I only used the hull parts, though heavily altered and a few parts like vents and boats, also extensively altered. All the rest was scratch-built (without the use of Photo-Etched parts; I’d never heard of it by that time). It took me, on and off, some 8 years to finish this project, which was far more than I ever planned.

K56anchorwinch[1]a.JPG (157793 bytes) K56stbdall[1]a.JPG (92030 bytes) K56bridgelrg[1]a.JPG (200381 bytes) K56dcracks[1]a.JPG (170946 bytes)

The model does not depict a specific ship. It is more of a gathering of details that seemed relevant to me and the camouflage-scheme is something that resembles the "Admiralty Dark Disruptive scheme". The model "sits" in a "box" of acrylic glass with no bottom, the top being a thin sheet of epoxy-resin, cast from a home made mold of a "sea-scape". The model is full-hull and can be taken out and displayed as static. After I finished the project, to my horror I came across an at that time, recently released Conway’s Anatomy of the Ship: Agassiz, which showed all details that I was so uncertain about. To my great relief it turned out that I had "guessed" most of them correctly.

K56foredeck[1]a.JPG (127904 bytes) K56galley[1]a.JPG (170192 bytes) K56oa34[1]a.JPG (97798 bytes)

Louis Elskamp
Holland

_____________________________________________________________________________________________