TheTatra Class destroyers comprised six ships- Tatra, Balaton, Csepel, Lika, Triglav and Orjen. Built by Porto Ré, a subsidiary of Danubius & Ganz, they were launched in the years 1912 and 1913. Unfortunately, both Triglav and Lika were sunk by mines near Durazzo on the 29th December 1915. Six further destroyers had been authorised in May 1914 to increase the number of destroyers but never started before the outbreak of the war. Four units were authorised in 1916 to replace the losses during war. These four ships were named Triglav II, Lika II, Dukla and Uzsok and classified as the „Replacement Triglav Class". These four boats are the class represented by this new kit. They were also built by Danubius and launched in 1917, so their wartime careers were rather short. Propelled by two steam turbines these four vessels have been the most modern ships of the Austro Hungarian Navy.
The ships were of 85.28m overall length with a beam of 7.80m. Their design displacement was 880 tons with a full load displacement of 1045 tons. Powered by 2 AEG-Curtiss turbines. producing in excess of 20.500 shp, driving two shafts. They were able to achieve speeds of up to 33.8 knots. Of the six Yarrow boilers, four were oil fired. And the other two capable of operating with oil and / or coal. Their Armament was two 10 cm main guns of 50 calibre length. Secondary armament was provided by six 7cm guns 45 calibre length. Two of them were on special anti aircraft mountings. The gun armament was completed by a single17.8 mm machine gun. Their main offensive capabilty came from for 45 cm torpedo tubes mounted in pairs. After war, three, theTiglav, Lika, Uzsok, vessels were ceded to Italy and one, the Dukla, to France. The last vessel „Matelot Leblanc" the former Dukla was discarded in 1936
The hull comes in two halves, broken at the waterline. The joining of these two parts to get a full hull model will represent no problem. The four funnels and fourteen ventilators, four large and ten small, are each contained on a separate resin base, quite easy to remove.
There are only four more superstructure parts- the bridge-the forward cabin and the two square shaped ventilators. These are molded with a thin wafer which will need to be sanded away. The resin gun barrels are molded separately from their mounts Those for the smaller guns were provided in etched brass. The four torpedo tubes are molded separately and should be adjusted pair-wise on their etched brass bases. There are also four open boats, all displaying thwarts etc. Other resin parts include the rudder and the end of the propeller shaft.
Etched brass is provided for the funnel tops, davits, wheels, hatches, bridge supports , wheels, cable drums and anchors. Two bar railings and separate anchor chains complete the etched parts. Brass rods for the propeller shafts are provided. The two masts and yards are cnc turned from brass. This means that they include an accurate taper towards the top of the masts and a notch for fitting the yard. Decals providing names for all four ships are provided.
The kit comes in a cardboard box wrapped in a sleeve with a colour print. The instructions are contained in a A5 size booklet with 10 pages. First there are pictures indicating all parts of the kit. Following a few safety instructions, in English and Austrian. Assembly is illustrated by a series of assembly diagrams. The instructions are completed by coloured diagrams of side and deck.